September: month of big projects and new beginnings. Let’s see it in with Frollemente’s dessert recipe starring our lemon flavoured white chocolate.
Cupcake with lemon flavoured white chocolate, lemon curd and meringue flambé
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes:
- 85 g cake flour
- 70 g melted butter at room temperature
- 50 g Vignamaggio’s lemon flavoured white chocolate
- 80 g castor sugar
- 40 g cane sugar
- 3 eggs
- 16g baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for the lemon curd:
- 180 g sugar
- 90 g cold butter
- 3 eggs
- Juice and zest of 3 organic lemons
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
Ingredients for the meringue:
- 100 g egg white at room temperature
- 200 g castor sugar
- 30 ml water
- Begin by creaming the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the liquid butter, vanilla, flour and baking powder.
- Using a piping bag, fill to two thirds 12 cupcake moulds, already lined with paper baking cases. Bake at 180° for about 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- While the cupcakes are in the oven, prepare the lemon curd and the meringue.
- For the lemon curd, place all the ingredients into a double boiler, mix well and leave to cook for about 10 minutes (until the texture is thick and creamy). Don’t worry if the cream is not all firm: it tends to firm slowly as it cools down. Spoon the cream into jars and leave to cool.
- As soon as the cupcakes and the lemon curd are cool, place the lemon curd into a piping bag and create cavities in the centre of the cupcakes with a knife.
- Fill the cavities in the cupcakes with lemon curd.
- The meringue is prepared all’italiana: making a syrup by heating a water and sugar solution to 121°C.
- When the syrup is ready, start whisking the egg whites. At the soft peak stage, slowly pour in the syrup, continuing to whisk until the meringue is smooth, shiny and firm.
- Keep whisking until the mixing bowl has cooled down (it takes about 10 minutes)
- Now we top the cakes with the meringue. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag and top the cupcakes in a design you like. After you have topped the cupcakes, flambe the meringue with a kitchen torch.
- Now your cupcakes with lemon flavoured white chocolate, lemon curd and meringue flambé are ready to serve.
A flavoursome combination
This dessert is perfect for enjoying with a nice tea during a pause in your day, or as a dessert after lunch or dinner. A rose like Albaluce or a white like Tramonte could be the fresh and fruity accompaniment that enhances the sharp, tart notes of the lemony white chocolate.